Rievaulx Abbey, Rievaulx
Rievaulx Abbey, Rievaulx, Rievaulx is a small village and civil parish near Helmsley in North Yorkshire and is located in what was the inner court of Rievaulx Abbey, close to the River Rye. The inner court of the monastery contained buildings such as the brewhouse, bakehouse and guesthouse. Its name originated as Rye (the river) + Norman-French val or valle = “valley”. Its old local pronunciation was as “Rivers”, and changed to “Reevo” when education brought a general familiarity with the French language, St Mary the Virgin,
The abbey was closed as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII in 1535 and the grounds were bought by the Duke of Rutland. He was keen to continue the iron-smelting industry which had been conducted by the monks. He therefore established a charcoal-fired blast furnace and the associated structures and workings in what became Rievaulx village [dead link]. This continued until its disruption during the Civil War, with production ceasing in 1647.
The village then became agricultural in nature and remains as a small settlement, situated below the Abbey and the Rievaulx Terrace & Temples. The old watermill has been converted into a house around the workings, many of which are still extant, including the mill wheel, though the mill has been out of operation for a long time. The miller’s cottage also still stands and is a separate abode.